A collection of everything that’s new for safety trainers! Included in this edition:
- New sample class agendas for our Outreach Trainers
- 2017 OSHA Outreach Trainer update classes—book your seat now!
- Free training materials on our new Tractor Talks website
- More trainer tips on Twitter & Facebook
- Where to find OSHA’s Fact Sheets—required for Outreach Classes
FOOTnotes – For Our Outreach Trainers: Information specific to OSHA Outreach Trainers authorized through the Southeastern OTI Education Center.
New sample class agendas for our Outreach Trainers!
We want our Outreach Trainers to be successful in the classroom and during recordkeeping audits. To ensure success, OSHA Outreach Trainers must prepare an agenda for every class. An agenda is a tool meant to help with organization. Also referred to as the “Topic Outline,” it is a class record that trainers are required to create prior to teaching each class; it must be kept for five years.
To help you comply, we have created sample agendas for each 10-hour and 30-hour Construction and General Industry class. To download the sample agendas, visit your OSHA Outreach Trainer Portal, click on “Access Outreach Training Resources” then log in and click on the “Course Administration” file folder.
As a reminder, all agendas must include:
- Topics chosen from the Required and Elective topics listed in your Outreach Training Procedures for Construction or General Industry
- Date for each day of training, as well as the start and end time for each topic and break
- Any changes from the original plan
Note: Your agenda should reflect what you report to us, including any changes in topics, start and end times, and consistent use of AM or PM. Since you are required to track which topics were taught by guest trainers or additional outreach trainers, adding this information to your agenda is a great practice.
Let us know if you would like us to do a compliance check on your next agenda!
2017 OSHA Outreach Trainer update classes—book your seat now!
To those of you who have been patiently waiting to figure out when you can renew your OSHA Outreach Trainer authorization, the wait is over! Our 2017 OSHA Course Schedule is now available.
Aim to register for an update class being held prior to your expiration date. Although there is a 90-day grace period after the date of expiration to take an update course, you cannot teach any 10-hour or 30-hour classes while your card is expired. Beyond 90 days, you’ll need to retake the full trainer course if you want to renew your authorization. No exceptions!
All Outreach Trainers with cards expiring in 2017 should book an update class as soon as possible. As many of you know, our classes fill quickly. Register now:
- OSHA #502 Update for Construction Industry Outreach Trainers
- OSHA #503 Update for General Industry Outreach Trainers
Free training materials on our new Tractor Talks website!
- 108 youth (less than 20 years of age) died from farm-related injuries
- the fatality rate for agricultural workers was 7 times higher than the fatality rate for all workers in private industry
- the injury rate for agricultural workers was more than 40 percent higher than the rate for all workers
Let’s work together to prevent these tragedies from happening.Thanks to a Susan Harwood Training Grant, NC State has developed “Tractor Talks”—a new training program focused on agricultural safety that includes handouts, pocket cards, and PowerPoint slides. The best part? These materials are FREE to use, so visit the Tractor Talks website today.
More trainer tips on Twitter & Facebook
Did you hear? OSHA is now on Twitter. We are, too! We’re also on Facebook with pages for both the Southeastern OTI Education Center and the MESH program. Like us and follow us for additional trainer tips and information. These are also great ways for you to connect with your fellow OSHA classmates and MESH grads.
- OSHA’s NEW Twitter Page – www.twitter.com/OSHA_DOL
- Southeastern OTI Education Center on Twitter – www.twitter.com/OSHAEdCenter
- Southeastern OTI Education Center on Facebook – www.facebook.com/OSHAEdCenter
- MESH Program on Facebook – www.facebook.com/MESHprogram
Where to find OSHA’s Fact Sheets—required for Outreach Classes!
OSHA’s website is filled with helpful resources including Fact Sheets and publications that cover a multitude of topics. This web page is an especially useful tool for all OSHA Outreach Trainers because your requirements state:
“Outreach trainers must provide their students with reference materials on each topic covered that highlight the key training points. At a minimum, each student must receive a fact sheet on each topic.”
Most topics have at least one fact sheet, if not more. Don’t let this great tool go to waste!
Teresa Chapman oversees the program administration and compliance for the Southeastern OSHA Training Institute Education Center. In addition, she manages the Manager of Environmental Safety and Health (MESH) Certificate Program and OSHA’s Public Sector Safety & Health Fundamentals Certificate Program. Teresa has over five years of state and local government program administration and outreach experience. She has previously held roles in sales, marketing and event coordination in the private sector.
Darija Franjic works with current OSHA Outreach Trainers authorized through the Southeastern OTI Education Center to ensure they understand and comply with OSHA’s outreach training program requirements and procedures. She also assists trainers with reporting and processing OSHA 10-hr and 30-hr cards. In addition, Darija coordinates details for open enrollment and onsite OSHA courses.