Lean is a continuous and long-term process of improvement, often described as a “journey” to identify and eliminate activities that do not create value for the customer. However, it’s a journey you don’t have to take alone anymore. Join a Lean Improvement Council!
Lean Improvement Councils are regional groups of manufacturers created to offer:
- A unique chance to see continuous improvement in action
- A constant exchange of best practices
- Access to constructive and timely feedback from peers
- An opportunity to build relationships within industries with continuous improvement peers
- A mechanism to sustain improvement activities
Our events consist of a facility presentation on recent improvement projects, a factory tour to showcase the improvements in action, and then a focused, but open discussion to further highlight successes and opportunities. Recent event topics at locations like Flextronics, Novartis Vaccines and Grede have included: single piece flow receiving, visual scheduling, pull replenishment, takt times, ergonomics, 5S, a kaizen “toolbox” and linear integration.
Currently we have Councils growing in the Charlotte, Raleigh and Western NC (Asheville) markets and are always looking for expansion opportunities.
How to Join a Lean Improvement Council
Membership is open to all NC manufacturers but is subject to acceptance by current Lean Improvement Council members.
A strong candidate must:
- Have previously begun a Lean journey
- Be willing to host events and participate in events at other plants
- Not be a direct competitor of a current member
- Agree not to disclose proprietary observations outside the Council
- Pay an annual membership fee
The annual amount to join a Lean Improvement Council is $1,000 per company and $500 per each additional plant owned by the same parent company. Each membership entitles a company to 2 “seats” per Lean Improvement Council event, with the option to purchase 2 additional seats at half of the joining fee.
Manufacturing Makes It Real Network (MMIRN) Members receive a 50% discount to join.