Streamline processes, build capabilities to sustain new ways of working, make continuous improvement part of everyone’s day-to-day activities.
Lean manufacturing saves money and increases productivity and profits by reducing waste and increasing operational efficiency. But Lean isn’t just for manufacturing. “Lean thinking” and the tools of Lean manufacturing work in a variety of office, service and industry applications, including government.
Lean management can help government streamline processes by addressing the causes of organizational inefficiency, build capabilities to sustain new ways of working and engage managers and staff to make continuous improvement part of everyone’s day-to-day activities.
Lean Model—Basic Steps for Implementation:
- Identify activities that add value to the customer
- Establish the sequence of flow for the process (current state value stream)
- Eliminate or reduce the activities that do not add value to the customer
- Create a more organized work flow
- Create a continuous improvement culture which strives to eliminate waste
Our Lean Six Sigma Approach Can Include:
- Lean Executive Overview
- Strategic Planning Sessions
- Lean Strategic Value Stream Mapping Event
- Lean Education and Training sessions for managers
- Lean Education and Training sessions for team members and front line staff
- Kaizen Rapid Improvement Events
- Lean Facilitator Education and Training
- Lean Certification Program
- Organizational Coaching and Mentoring
Lean Government—Provides Solutions to Support Organizations:
- Educational and tool based training programs for all levels of a client’s organization including executives, directors, supervisors and front-line staff
- On-site assessment of client lean needs
- Creating a flexible business model for “Organizational Excellence using Lean Thinking” (transformation) in all types of government organizations (small/ medium/large)
- Providing customized solutions to address gaps that clients experience in performance excellence.
By incorporating NC State (IES) Lean solutions, tools and expertise, you will build a customer-focused organization that provides services of the highest quality and lowest cost, utilizing only value-added activities.
IES Will Tailor On-Site Services to Your Needs
- We come to your facility, because that’s where the action is.
- We listen to you to understand your services, your local conditions and your issues.
- We help you find the right solutions to your specific problems.
- We customize plans for transforming your processes, based on your current capabilities and desired outcomes.
IES Can Help You:
- Do more with less—streamline your processes and deliver more services to your constituents
- Create more value in your business processes
- Improve the customer experience
- Increase your quality
- Improve employee morale
- Navigate regulatory and safety programs
We also offer Lean Government certification for professionals seeking to lead their organizations, whether at the state, local, or municipal level, into the transformative culture of Lean Government.
Success with Lean management requires senior leaders to commit to learning and changing. If your organization is interested in knocking down the roadblocks to efficiency, contact us today.
Why Consider an IES Lean Six Sigma Government Solution?
The world of process improvement is growing exponentially in the service industries. Government is in the midst of rapid change. Employees are being required to manage their processes more efficiently and agencies are being asked to do much more with fewer resources and must change their processes to accomplish this task. This is creating the “perfect storm” for engagement in these areas. Read our Solution Brief to discover more about IES Lean Six Sigma Government Solutions.
Learn how the Richmond County Department of Social Services reduced customer inquiry response time from six days to one after deploying Lean tools including value stream mapping and standard work documents. Not only was response time dramatically reduced, but the inquiry backlog was also eliminated. Read the success story here.
Learn how one government agency leveraged IES’s Lean Facilitator Certification program to deploy Lean tools throughout its entire organization that resulted in improved timelines and accuracy in ten different North Carolina counties. Read the success story here.
Learn how NC State IES improvement specialists worked closely with North Carolina Department of Public Safety’s Correction Enterprises staff and inmate employees to identify and eliminate waste and improve processes, resulting in high-quality, low-cost products. Read the success story here.
LEARN MORE ABOUT:
Found your solution?
We’re ready to work with you.
IES Lean & Six Sigma Experts
Gene Smith BS, MBB, CLSSBB
Program Director, IES Healthcare & Government
Gene Smith leads the IES lean healthcare program and helps healthcare organizations improve their businesses through the understanding and implementation of lean principles based on the Toyota Production System (TPS) and Six Sigma methodologies. Gene and the healthcare team have worked extensively with public health organizations to improve patient service times in clinics, child coordination services, and permitting processes in environmental health services.
Chris Hartley BA, CLSSGB
Improvement Specialist IES
Chris serves as a Lean Improvement Specialist working with hospitals, physician’s offices, public health departments, government agencies and many other types of organizations to teach and guide them through their lean journey. Chris has over 15 years of process improvement and project management experience in government, hospital, and laboratory service industries.
Bill Iacovelli MBA, CLSSBB
Improvement Specialist IES
Bill is an Extension Specialist with NC State IES. Based out of IES’ Kannapolis office, he works statewide to help manufacturers, businesses, health care systems and public health departments make improvements through Lean and Six Sigma thinking and methodology. Bill assists organizations in developing systematic, long-term Lean implementation and leadership programs.
Lauren Lushia MBA, MBB, CLSSBB
Improvement Specialist IES
Lauren Lushia comes to IES with over 11 years of Lean, Six Sigma and Operational Excellence experience. During her career in Lean and Six Sigma, Lauren has progressed through many roles leading teams, teaching and applying Lean and Six Sigma. Her work has included leading projects and teams within HR, parts fulfillment, finance, technology, service, manufacturing and in call centers.
Allison Godwin BS, CLSSGB
Improvement Specialist IES / Improvement Partners
Allison Godwin serves as a lean facilitator, coach and mentor for a variety of healthcare and government organizations. As an integral part of the NC State Industrial Extension Service healthcare team, she initiates and advances lean initiatives through her work with Population Health Improvement Partners and the Department of Public Health QI (quality improvement) teams in Raleigh.