There are numerous regulatory requirements surrounding hazardous materials, wastes and operations. NC State Industry Expansion Solutions (IES) offers multiple training classes and on-site assistance programs for employees who manage or transport hazardous waste.
Hazardous Waste is a “RCRA Solid Waste” that meets the definition of either a characteristic hazardous waste (ignitable, corrosive, reactant or toxic); or a listed hazardous waste (F, K, P or U), and is thereby regulated by EPA under 40 CFR 260-279. Hazardous Material is regulated under DOT (49 CFR)and has been determined to be capable of posing an unreasonable risk to health, safety, and property when transported in commerce. Hazardous Substance is a DOT Hazardous Material that has a Reportable Quantity (RQ) designated in Appendix A or 172.101, for spill reporting and other requirements (49 CFR).
HAZWOPER refers to OSHA’s Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard found in 29 CFR 1910 and 1926.120 which covers employee health and safety for those exposed or potentially exposed to hazardous waste.
Hazardous Chemical is a term typically used by OSHA and regulated under 29 CFR, and means any chemical which is a physical hazard or a health hazard. Typical training classes in this area include Hazard Communication, Industrial Hygiene, and other related topics.
Our HazMat and HAZWOPER courses include:
- 40-Hour HAZWOPER for Hazardous Waste Site Workers
- 24-Hour HAZWOPER for Hazardous Waste Site Workers
- 24-Hour Hazardous Material (HazMat) Technician-Level for Emergency Response
- 8-Hour Hands-On HAZWOPER Refresher
- 8-Hour HAZWOPER Refresher for Environmental Professionals
- 8-Hour HAZWOPER Refresher ONLINE
- Hazardous Waste Management for Generators
- DOT HazMat Transportation Training
- DOT HazMat Transportation Refresher
View other related topics through our Southeastern OSHA Training Institute Education Center.